Friday, July 15, 2011

What Harry Means to Me

Instead of writing a review of how great Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (because it's obvious how awesome it is), I thought I would share why myself and so many others are both psyched out of our minds and extremely depressed about this movie.

While many people may not understand why me and so many others are upset at this movie, here are some the reasons I’ll miss Harry Potter:

  1. I grew up with Harry. I started reading the books when I was about 11, the same age as Harry, and continued to grow with him as the books progressed. At the end of this movie, Harry and I will actually be adults and have to move on with our lives.
  2. The characters. J.K. Rowling created some of the most memorable and rich characters that I’ve ever read. I long to be a member of the Weasley family or go into hiding with Sirius Black. And the villains? I mean, how much of a badass are you when people don’t even speak your name? Don’t forget about Snape - the most complex and interesting (perhaps underrated) character of the whole series. You have no idea whose side he was on or what his motivation is until the very end. Well played, Jo.
  3. The Potter Universe. What amazes me the most about the Harry Potter series is the incredible depth of the world Rowling created. It reminds me of Tolkein’s Lord of the Rings series in only that both authors managed to create a whole new world with enough history and culture to make it seem realistic. I may sound like a crazy person when I try to explain to a lay person, but to me, it makes total and complete sense.

It will be a long time before a book or a movie franchise will captivate a generation like Harry Potter did.


No comments:

Post a Comment