Saturday, May 14, 2011

AMDB Summer Movie Preview

It's May and you know what that means? Summer movie season begins! While most years I get pretty pumped for the summer movies, this year's line-up of sequels and superhero movies leaves me wanting. But here are my top picks:

Bridesmaids (opens this weekend)
It's The Hangover, but for ladies! I'm pretty excited that Kristen Wiig has a starring role because I think she's pretty hilarious when she's a normal person and not some ridiculous character. There also seems to be a lot of potential in the supporting cast (Rose Byrne, Maya Rudolph, Ellie Kemper, and, of course, Jon Hamm). It's great to see a strong female cast in a comedy, a genre usually dominated by the frat boys. This is the one comedy this summer that I am looking forward to.



Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (May 20)
I was debating whether to include Pirates on the list, but I have to say, I am curious about it. This movie has the potential to be great: it's been said that new director Rob Marshall is bringing the franchise back to it's former glory as a focused standalone story mixing action, adventure, and comedy. Let's hope this one follows the pattern of the first movie and not the last two.



X-Men: First Class (June 3)
I'm not big on the superhero movies, but I have always been a fan of X-Men. My brothers and I used to watch the cartoon years ago, so I'm pretty excited about a new movie coming out (especially after the disappointment that was Wolverine). While I'm usually not a fan of prequels, this one could work well. I'm particularly interested in seeing how Magneto and Professor Xavier met, became friends, and then became enemies. Also, it stars James McAvoy, who is amazing.




Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (July 15)
Do I even need to say why I want to see this movie? Last movie of the series. Final showdown between Harry and Voldermort. Huge battle at Hogwarts. This movie is going to be freakin' awesome!



Winnie the Pooh (July 15)
The little kid in me is dying to see the new Winnie the Pooh movie. The new movie reverts back to the old storybook format and features music by Zooey Deschanel. Warning: this movie could lead to an overload of adorableness.



The Help (August 12)
Based on the popular book, The Help is a welcome break from the explosions and action present in the majority of summer movies. This definitely looks like one that I'll see with my Mom on one of our girly days. I have to say, I am loving Emma Stone lately. She's making some really great movie choices. Plus, she's got that sarcastic, sassy sense of humor that I love. This movie looks like a great balance between comedy and drama.



So those are the movies I'm looking forward to this summer, and I hope they live up to my expectations. Of course, there's always some dark horse that becomes the big hit of the summer, like Inception or 500 Days of Summer. I wonder what this year's will be.

What are you looking forward to seeing this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment