Monday, February 21, 2011

Favorite Movies: Moonstruck

When people ask me what my favorite movie is, it’s very difficult for me to answer. I have seen so many movies and love so many of them. However, one of my favorites is Moonstruck. This movie is so great that I’ve watched it twice in one week. Here are some reasons why it should be your favorite too:

1. By far, it is Nicholas Cage’s best movie role. If you don’t believe, you need to watch this scene: http://bit.ly/gurVSG. So overly dramatic, but in a fantastic, hot way.

2. Cher. I don’t need to say more, but I will. I think her character, Loretta, is one of the most realistic portrayals of women in a Romantic Comedy I have seen. She’s so pragmatic and realistic, and provides the perfect complement to the hotheaded, passionate Nicholas Cage character.

3. This movie features one of my favorite character actresses, Olympia Dukakis. She plays Cher's mother and has some of the greatest lines in the movie. One of my favorites: “Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I’m gonna kick you ‘til you’re dead.” I also love her search for an answer to the timeless question “Why do men chase women?”

4. I have a slight obsession with Italian-American culture, and I’m not talking about Jersey Shore. I’m only part Italian (a very small part) but I just love their emphasis on the family and eating. This movie is so Italian, it makes me wish they would adopt me into their family. It’s also not a fake, overly Italian portrayal. It’s very authentic and realistic.

If you haven’t already, you NEED to watch this movie. Rent it, buy it, catch it on AMC (they’re playing it constantly). Just do whatever you need to do to partake in this cinematic delight.

No comments:

Post a Comment